Thursday, December 12, 2013

Holiday Making


         As I am wrapping up custom orders for the shop this week I am looking forward with excitement to a stack of Holiday sewing projects- sitting in line- waiting their turn- fun little things that take no time at all but are a pleasure to work on. Now obviously I can't reveal too much here yet but after the Holidays I will write all about these small pieces of sewing- can't wait!

      The beauty if a handmade gift given at Christmas or whatever Holiday you are celebrating- is that it kinda gets back to the essence of what this time of year is all about- it's a gift of service- a gift of yourself- your time. Today I feel that gift of time is more important than ever- for me making handmade gifts is relaxing and a joy- it's kind of my own form of vacation- splurging on special fabrics- laying everything out and all the while thinking about how this item that I am making will be used and loved.

      There are many ways to give a hand made gift that don't involve being being an expert or craftsman- Holiday baking- yummmm- this is a gift I love to receive because I am not very good at it! Homemade edibles are always a welcome and loved gift- soups, DIY cookies in mason jars, wine, jams, bread- I think one of the Mr.'s favourite gift ever was home made beef jerky! Of course there is literally the gift of time- coupons for baby sitting to the new parents are a heaven send- for that matter I think any parents would love that gift! If you have a skill give the gift of teaching your friends- how to knit, crochet, bead, make soaps, wood work- perhaps igniting a new interest for someone.

       So you see a gift doesn't need to come in a box- it can come in a jar or bottle or can- it can come off your knitting needles- it can come off a lathe- from pliers and scissors and glue! "Things" are so accessible these days- if I need something I can easily go to the store and buy it- weirdly enough what is not so accessible these days is our time and energy. Getting back to the spirit of Christmas and enjoying the time leading up to it as much as the day it's self I feel is key- I don't want to be in a mall feeling harried when the music is shouting at me to "be merry and bright"! I want to be at my sewing machine actually being 'merry and bright"- making something for a loved one.

     

4 comments:

  1. Bravo! While the girls are fighting with each other I'm trying to knit the jar cozy. Taking a little more than an hour tho' since I've never knit in the round before. Atleast its making me feel better having the yarn turn into something. You just feel better making something from scratch than handing over your credit card at the department store. Mind you, I'm not going to knit myself a fuzzy robe at the moment. :) - tannis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay- when you are doe the jar cozy I would love to see how it turned out! And I agree I won't be knitting any fuzzy robes- can you even imagine how long that would take!

      Delete
  2. Love this post! I made Earl Grey tea soap with Z last week for her teachers and am making Canucks cookies with A this weekend for this teacher. The kids were confused at first and a bit troubled that we aren't buying gifts but I'm much happier this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats so awesome that you are making your children's Teacher gifts with them! What a great way to say Thank You for all the teachers hard work!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!