Thursday, July 17, 2014

Thrifted Thursday


         
           The hot weather arrived a couple of weeks ago and with it my panic in regards to my wardrobe- here's the deal- over the past year I have just been wearing out my clothes and not really replacing them- a novel approach these days perhaps. Since becoming more aware of fast fashion and how it relates to the environment I pretty much put a halt to any new buying- home sewn garments yes, sustainably made garments yes, vintage and second hand yes.

          When building a wardrobe becomes more like a scavenger hunt what often happens is that large holes appear in one's closet- this was the case regarding my summer items. I had very few warm weather items going into this heat wave and so walking down Pender one day I decided to stop into the new consignment shop Hunter & Hare to see what all the fuss is about.

        Hunter & Hare is a gorgeously well curated shop- full of good quality, fashionable items as well as a nice selection of locally made goodies- candles, soaps,totes and accessories- lots of lovely bobbles! I found a few things I liked and as I was chatting with the gal at the till I noticed a wee bit of lace peeking out the bottom of a stack of clothing on a chair- items not yet out on the floor. The sales girl was gracious enough to pull this lovely white smock out and I added it my take home pile immediately- I'm a sucker for white in the summer!

      This is what I love about thrifting or vintage shopping- you go with a general idea of what you need or want (because the two are not mutually exclusive) and magic happens! I'm so happy to have discovered yet another well appointed consignment shop in my neighbourhood- it makes life and my wardrobe so much more interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!